It was always going to be a hard task for any film to follow up Avengers: Endgame, one of the most successful films of all time. It wrapped up ten years of storytelling in Marvel Cinematic Universe in a compelling and touching way. Yet they seemed to write themselves into a corner, leaving a number of hellicarrier-sized plot questions regarding the consequences of that film. Thankfully, Spider-Man: Far From Home is a fantastic film that does almost exactly what the folks at Marvel needed it to do. I did have a few problems with it, but I can’t really discuss those without venturing into spoiler territory. So let’s focus on what I did like about it.
1. IT ANSWERS MOST OF THE QUESTIONS WE HAD ABOUT A POST-SECOND-SNAP WORLD. There were a lot of articles dealing with the consequences surrounding the events Endgame. Fortunately, this movie answers most of them in a very clever way early in the film. There are some darker questions that it didn’t address completely, but the audience will be mostly satisfied with how it’s explained.
2. IT IS THE BEST LIVE ACTION SPIDER-MAN FILM TO DATE. I have mixed opinions on the previous live action Spider-Man films. I’m in the minority in thinking that the Sam Raimi trilogy was too campy and disingenuous. However, Far From Home really is the best I could ask for. But it’s still not as good as last year’s animated Into the Spider-verse.
3. IT HAS THE BEST SPIDER-MAN ACTION SET PIECES. I’m not overselling it that this film truly showcases what Spidey action should look like. The action scenes are executed nearly flawlessly and are insanely satisfying.
4. IT’S MUCH BETTER THAN HOMECOMING WAS. I didn’t hate Spider-Man: Homecoming, but did find the ending to be anti-climactic. This movie has much higher stakes and is executed more fluidly.
5. IT’S POSSIBLY THE FUNNIEST MCU FILM TO DATE. It’s weird how the MCU movies seem to be getting funnier as each one is released. I suppose the filmmakers felt that they needed an extra shot of humor to counterbalance the dourness of the end of Endgame. I would say it might actually be a little too light in parts, but I’ll let the audience be the true judge of that.
6. IT IS SURPRISINGLY SWEET. Far From Home explores high school love in a remarkably sweet and sincere way.
7. IT HAS AMAZING ANTAGONISTS. In order to avoid spoilers, I’m going to leave it at this: the antagonists in this film are some of the most inventive MCU villains to date. They really did it right with them.
Spider-Man: Far From Home is definitely my favorite live action Spidey film to date, no question. It is a great cap (no pun intended) to the Infinity Saga.
Spider-Man: Far From Home is definitely my favorite live action Spidey film to date. It is the best transition film Marvel fans could have hoped for.